Spirulina is generating quite a buzz around, no wonder many people around the web are looking to find out more about this superfood. Now, this is why we have compiled some answers to some of the frequently asked questions about spirulina from what’s the heck is spirulina to where you can buy spirulina and much more! Let’s get started, shall we?
What is spirulina?
For starters, what is spirulina? Well, Spirulina is blue - green algae that nutritionists are calling the super food of the future. It is responsible for producing oxygen in the planet’s atmosphere that billions of years ago allowed the planet’s originating life forms to develop. Put simply, Spirulina is arguably the world’s first super food and one of the most nutrient-rich foods on earth.
Spirulina Benefits: What are the health benefits of spirulina?
Now, the next question we should answer has got to be, what is spirulina good for or rather, what does spiriluna do to your body? To answer this, here are some spirulina benefits that you ought to know:
1. It eliminates heavy metals (especially arsenic)- Spirulina is a heavy metal detox. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), chronic arsenic toxicity is a worldwide problem. As researchers pointed out, there is no specific treatment for arsenic poisoning and that’s why they evaluated alternatives like blue-green algae. And it works pretty well!
2. Eradicates Candida- According to researchers, “Candida species belong to the normal microbiota of an individual’s mucosal oral cavity, gastrointestinal tract, and vagina” and causes candidiasis. On the other hand, immune-strengthening properties of spirulina help the body eliminate the candida cells.
3. It Helps Fight HIV/AIDs- A study published in the Journal of Applied Psychology showed that people who regularly consume algae, have relatively low HIV/AIDs rates. No wonder people in Japan, Korea, and Chad have relatively low HIV/AIDS rates a feat that has been attributed to the abundance of this fresh water plant in the region.
4. Cancer Immunity - Spirulina is rich in tetrapyrrolic compounds closely related to bilirubin molecule, a potential anti-oxidant, and anti-prollyferative agent. It has been found that compared to untreated cells, experimental therapeutics significantly decreased proliferation of human pancreatic cancer cell lines in vitri in a dose-dependent manner. This means that spirulina is a potential natural cancer treatment.
5. It Reduces Blood Pressure- Japanese researchers claim that consuming this blue-green algae reverses the endothelial dysfunction in the metabolic syndrome thus helping in reducing chances of heart disease.
6. It Cuts Down Cholesterol- Spirulina prevents atherosclerosis and reduces elevated blood cholesterol levels.
7. Lowers chance of Stroke- Spirulina supplementation has also been known to lower intimal aorta surface which helps to prevent arteriosclerosis and subsequent stroke. Also, Spirulina can literally reverse the damage done by eating a poor diet, and this comes at a great advantage to the heart.
8. Boosts energy- people who regularly consume spirulina have an abundance of energy because spirulina has a chemical composition that boosts energy. This energy performance is enhanced as spirulina unlocks sugar from cells-when frozen the cold from the ice boosts metabolic energy while giving our bodies a ”wake-up call.”
9. Speeds up weight loss- dense protein-rich foods like spirulina promote weight loss and low-fat stores through a variety of mechanisms. Eating proteins help maintain lean tissue and contribute to fat burning because it takes more energy to metabolize.
10. Offers neuroprotection for brain disorders and memory boosting- research has found that Spirulina platensis may “prevent the loss of memory possibly by lessening AB protein accumulation, reducing oxidative damage and mainly augmenting the catalase activity.
Spirulina-dosage and usage
The two most common forms of commercially available spirulina are spirulina powder and spirulina tablets. It is also an ingredient in some proteins and energy-boosting powder mixes.
How To Take Spirulina
You can stir a small spoonful of spirulina powder into a glass of water or juice and drink it straight. As a dietary supplement, the recommended minimum amount is 3 grams daily- one tea spoon of spirulina powder or 500 mg spirulina tablets. Since it is a pure and natural food, you may safely take more, to suit your personal health goals. If you are just starting to take spirulina, build up the doze gradually. For the first two days, take 1 tablet daily. Then, for the next two days take 2 tablets daily. For the following two days, take 3 tablets daily, etc., until you reach the required dosage.
You can take spirulina whenever you like- with, before, or between meals; before or after working out; or whenever your energy is low. Because high –protein foods have been found to increase alertness - and spirulina is one of the richest whole food sources of protein. It is best to take spirulina at least four hours before going to bed but altogether, it does not seem to matter whether one should take six tablets at once or two tablets three times a day-most people report feeling benefits whenever and however they take spirulina and it often does not present any problems.
If you think of it as eating a snack or part of a meal, then ten or twenty grams is not excessive. Body builders and other athletes often eat as much as 50 grams a day. Spirulina is a natural cleanser and helps to eliminate toxins in the body especially when first taken. A few people, (approximately 1-2%) may experience light changes in their digestive system for the first few days when taking spirulina. These changes are always short lived, and after a few days, these people are back to normal and usually report feeling better than ever.
When slimming, take spirulina tablets with a large glass of water better half an hour before meals. Again, you are advised not to take any spirulina in the evening otherwise you will be too active when you want to sleep. Otherwise, it is certainly a solution if you have to work late into the night.
It takes about 1-3 weeks for you to notice a change in energy levels. The results differ from person to person and obviously depend on your condition.
Tip; drink plenty of water every day.
Where to purchase spirulina
Most people around normally ask, where can spirulina be found? Well, Spirulina is sold in varied health shops all over the world. You can also order online from specialized shops as 21bites.
That’s it, now you know a thing or two about Spirulina! It’s time to try this magical food and see how things pan out for you.
Comments will be approved before showing up.